De rerum: an acknowlegement and explanation.
INDEX: Linnaean

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Coeliades forestan


I have only two reasonable records of the Striped Policeman, and both found feeding on animal scat. I remember the first one, tracking after it through the long grass at Bisley, before it eluded me. On returning to the foot path I found it feeding on herbivore droppings, oblivious to me very close approach.
The other I found in our garden, this time feeding on vervet monkey scat.
I don't know whether scat feeding is a male habit, or what purpose it serves the animal. It is well described in male Charaxes.
Steve Woodhall also mentions that the males also mark territory with scent hairs on their posterior abdomen. Is this one scent marking?
Food plants cover a wide range, and include our very invasive Bugweed (Solanum mauritianum.)

I have added the individual feeding on monkey scat.
 



1 comment:

Crystal Rowe said...

Wow, this picture is incredible!

Post a Comment